Thursday, March 7, 2013

An interview with Eric Hutchinson

Eric Hutchinson took some time to chat on the phone with Liz Lane before his February 28 concert at Ritchie Coliseum. When asked about returning to his home state to perform for the UMD community, Hutchinson said he was excited.


Hutcinson performed at Ritchie Coliseum on February 28.
Dale and the ZDubs opened the night and students left
happy. More pictures soon to come!
"Both my parents and my brother and other family went here so I've always felt connected to the school," said Hutchinson. "I'm excited to perform for the terps."

Hutcinson grew up in Tacoma Park Md. and said there "wasn't much to do" in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.

"I think that's why I started writing songs," said Hutchinson. "I like the Beatles, Elvis Costello... Michael Jackson, Billy Joel. They're masters of melody.

"What I'm trying to do is continue that tradition," said Hutcinson.

At Ritchie, Hutcinson performed many of his hits and songs from his 2012 album, "Moving Up Living Down." He also covered the classics "Play that funky music" and the Backstreet Boys 1999 staple, "I want it that way."

Judging from the screaming and lip syncing, Hutchinson's hit "Watching you watch him" was a crowd favorite. The song is one that, he said, is his favorite to sing and perform.

On his latest album, Hutcinson said he likes switching back and forth between piano and guitar- something he said is the "cool thing" about music. He likes the freedom with which it comes.


As for his favorite set of lyrics? Hutchinson said he likes "whatever I just wrote."

"As an artist, you always like whichever song is newest," he said,

Hutcinson said his favorite lyrics change every day. Right now he really likes the lyrics of his song, "Not there yet."

"I remember writing it and feeling what I felt," Hutchinson said. "I find healing every day when I sing it."